We do not own, nor do we plan to purchase, a crib for Baby Smartypants.
"Gasp!"
"Whaaaat!?"
"But where will he sleep!?"
I'm glad you asked! He will sleep on the floor of course!
"Gasp!"
"Whaaaat!?"
"Like an uncivilized ANIMAL!?"
I know, I know. It seems strange and it's not what you traditionally think of when it comes to babies' rooms, but let's calm down. Deep breaths. I promise it'll be okay.
When we first set out to plan baby's room and add items to our registry, we were looking into a classic-style crib that converts into a "big kid bed" and eventually a twin bed. Those things are genius, and I'm still a big fan! However, the more we dove into the Montessori method, the more we saw the advantages of using a floor bed. We fell in love with the idea! You can read all about the ideas behind the floor bed in this great article from MariaMontessori.com.
Of course, for at least the first few months or so we plan to have our baby boy sleep in a bassinet in our bedroom. Not only will it give us peace of mind to have him nearby during the night, but it will make nursing and comforting him so much easier. Eventually, however, we plan to transition him to his own room on a crib mattress on the floor. We will add bumpers to the sides so he doesn't roll off in the middle of the night, and babyproof the room so once he's mobile he can wander around and explore the space in safety.
Now for the fun part... let's check out some beautiful floor bed spaces found on Pinterest! They are so cute and super inspiring!
1. Ground Level Love
This room, designed by Mollie Quinn, might be my absolute favorite! I am obsessed with the bright, cheerful space and the fact that everything in the room is low to the ground and eye level for the kiddo. The bed, yes, but even the toy shelves, books, and artwork are within easy reach for the room's tiny inhabitant. Adorable!2. In the Treetops
Such a cozy little corner! Jack and Finn's sweet little bedroom featured on Apartment Therapy shows that you don't need a ton of room to create a charming, restful space. What a great way to make a small space functional!3. Mirrors and Mobiles
As Sara from Feeding The Soil demonstrates in her beautiful nursery tour, Montessori decor is very tidy, organized, and most importantly deliberate in its style. Clutter is eliminated and in its place are items and elements that serve a purpose in the child's development.In this case, a large mirror by the bed allows the kiddo an expansive view of the room while encouraging him to lift his head to check himself out, thus strengthening his muscles. A mobile hangs above the bed, great for visual perception, brain stimulation, and improving eyesight.
4. Home Sweet Home
Although I would consider this style of floor bed for the slightly older crowd since the mattress sits a little higher off the ground, the house-shaped frame around it makes my heart go pitter-patter. How. Stinkin'. Adorable! These super charming frames are sold at This Little Love.We've already got our little one's floor bed set up and I will share photos of the final product in the future. In the meantime, I'd love to hear your thoughts! Would you ever give a floor bed a try? Why or why not? Do you have a favorite from those listed above? Let me know!
No comments:
Post a Comment